Hannah and Arron's Positive Birth Story

It was 7:08am on Friday the 29th of October 2021. I had been feeling light period like cramps every so often and decided to document each pain in my contraction app just in case. At this point I thought I was just being silly so I didn’t bother to wake my partner, Arron just yet.

By 7:40 I had 6 more light cramps all around my front and back. I then decided I should wake Arron. He was very excited and sprung out of bed. I had never seen him so awake and ready so early in the morning.

It soon became clear that I was in labour as the contractions continued and gradually got stronger and closer together. Arron helped me put on my tens machine and we sat down , relaxed, played some video games and watched a film with a Subway.

We stayed at home for most of the day. I felt very relaxed and in control and remembered my breathing techniques every time I felt a contraction beginning. At around 3:30pm the cramps became stronger so Arron ran me a warm bath. It was a relief to be in the water. Even though there was still pain the warm water helped take the edge off. I stayed in the bath until I felt that I needed to go to the hospital.

Arron sat next to me and called the midwife. On the first phone call they asked if I felt that I could stay home longer. I agreed and stayed in the bath. I reminded myself that I need to be more assertive. When I felt that the surges were too much we rang the midwife back and politely but more assertively said that I need to come in.

We grabbed all the bags, put on some clothes and jumped in the car and made our way to Singleton Hospital . The car ride was scary as my mind was racing. I tried to remember to stay in control and not to over think things.

We got to the Midwife led Unit at Singleton Hospital and taken to a private room by one of the midwives. The room had everything you could want or need for birth. There was fairy lights, a huge bath Tub, a big comfy bed , a giant bean bag and en suite bathroom. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first arrived but it was such a relief to be in such a nice private and quiet room. The midwife examined me and told me I was 4cm dilated. I was scared and in quite a bit of pain at this point but I felt that I was in good hands. The midwives handed me gas and air. I started feeling light headed. There was still pain but it was easing. The two midwives looking after us stepped out to give us some privacy and only came back every now and again to check on how we were doing. I was also eventually given a pethidine injection to relieve some of the pain.

I had cervical checks throughout labour and was surprised by how quickly things were progressing. I was 6cm dilated and soon after I was 10. Everything went so fast and before I knew it it was time to start pushing.

The next few hours are a little blurry. I didn’t know how much time had past but the next thing I remember was lying down on the bed being told to push. The surges were very strong at this point but I felt determined and ready to meet my baby. I knew the only way was forward so I put all my energy into pushing. I didn’t want to look or talk I just wanted to push. Eventually I felt a gush of fluid, my waters had finally broke.

My memory is a bit foggy and all I remember is the midwives saying “there’s his head” and Arron getting super excited and encouraging me to keep going. I was more determined than ever and gave each push everything I had. The midwife said she could see the baby looking back up at her. All of this was so surreal at the time. I could hardly process what was happening but I knew I had to just keep going.

I remember Arron trying to say words of encouragement and explain everything that was happening but all I wanted to do was concentrate. I remember the nurse laughing because I kept shushing him and telling him to stop talking.

I couldn’t remember how long I was pushing for but it didn’t seem long at all. I remember thinking that the pushing part wasn’t as intense as the contractions. Arron was holding only one leg and the midwife onto the other. Both midwives were very encouraging and helped guide me with the pushing. I remember this relief as I felt the baby being born.

I heard the baby cry and I looked down. The nurse brought him up and lay him on my chest. Seeing my baby for the first time was the most surreal moment of my life. I cuddled into him and he stopped crying and just looked around the room with his big eyes. He already has a head full of hair. I looked over at Arron and his reaction was much like mine. We couldn’t believe he was finally here and how perfect he was. Arron then cut the cord and we just sat and enjoyed the first moments with our new baby.

I remember being worried about birthing the placenta but the midwives assisted me and I didn’t feel any pain at that point. One of the midwives checked me over and told me that I would need some stitches. I was a little worried but I felt that I was in good hands. Arron looked after the baby while I was taken to have stitches. I had gas and air during the whole thing and thankfully there was hardly any pain.

I was taken back into the birthing room and held my baby and breastfed him for the first time. He instinctively latched on. I sat there holding him still not quite being able to process that this little baby was mine.

The midwife asked if I wanted some toast. (I was so tired and hungry that it tasted like the best toast I ever had). I sat with baby in one arm and toast in the other and noticed a black jelly like blob down my arm. The baby had his first meconium poop. This was the first of many times that I would be pooped over the coming weeks but he’s so worth it :)

21 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All